Thursday, March 24, 2016

What's More Common: Dust or Ads?

This week in one of my public relations courses, we were asked to do a “communications audit” of our lives. This includes looking over how many brands we see in 24 hours, how many ads on social media, how much time spent on our phone and things like this. What I can say is that my results were somewhat expected…but still surprising.

One of the main things I didn’t realize until this audit is just how many advertisements are on major social media sites nowadays. Facebook and Twitter have TONS of sponsored ads consistently throughout scrolling on the home pages…I’m talking you can’t go ten statuses or tweets without seeing one. Also it seems like all the video and music site or apps, like YouTube and Pandora/Spotify, are full of commercials consistently as well. If I wanted to see commercials, I’d watch TV y’all.

When it came to checking out brands, I thought it would be funny to peek in the closet my roommate and I share. What an idea that was! There are so many unique brands within my own clothing I wasn’t even aware of! Well over 50 in our closet total. Yes, there were the basics like American Eagle, Urban Outfitters, Victoria Secret, Nike…. you get the picture. Yet I also own all these brands I haven’t even heard of! This may be because I am addicted to thrifting at stores like Plato’s Closet or even Salvation Army, but it was still pretty eye opening just how much we are surrounded by advertisements through all different avenues.


So now the real question is, what is more common around us: dust or ads?

No comments:

Post a Comment