Thursday, March 3, 2016

Brian Basilico, Bacon and Some Sizzling Tips

This past Tuesday international author, speaker and founder of his own marketing consulting and production company, Brian Basilico, spoke to our PR Writing class and PRSSA chapter. Not only did he teach me how awesome bacon is and the insane amount of bacon products out there (will explain in one moment), but there were some KEY essential tips I really picked up from him: the importance of analytics aka bacon, podcasting and blab.

So regarding the bacon, Basilico is the author of four books his most popular being, “It’s Not About You, It’s About Bacon! Relationship Marketing in a Social Media World.” He uses the word “bacon” with all of his content because it is the second most shared thing on social media besides kittens. Something so simple like this really showed me the power of using analytics online to adapt to your audiences and find those key words and things your users are looking for.

He explained to our group just how important podcasting is, a tool I had never really looked into before. Reason being, when I hear the word “podcast,” I think of my mother downloading tons of sermons on iTunes. I did not truly realize the impact podcasts could have until he showed us his analytics or the amount of podcast downloads some professionals have.

He also introduced us to a new platform, Blab. Blab is like a periscope-style talk show, it is broadcast live while you are interviewing someone else, and there are two “hot seats” that others can pop onto and ask questions. I am always looking for new social media tools for my arsenal, and I cannot wait to check this one out for myself.

Some other key tips I picked up:

  • Never stop being a professional student, never stop learning
  • If you have a hard time writing, use a dictation app to talk through something (which is helpful for writing books)
  • Social media without measurement is like a train without an engine
  • Social media is a tool, not your end game. Putting something on social media with no link back to your site or key message is like a little island out there by itself


No comments:

Post a Comment