Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Senior Speeches

This evening I attended my university's communication department's senior speeches. This is where all senior Comm majors are required to give an eight to ten minute speech on around a certain theme with no notecards or visual aids. This is my second time I attended senior speeches; I once went the fall semester of my freshman year...it was terrifying. 

The idea of giving a memorized speech with scholarly citations on not-so-easy topics at 17...welcome to college Rach. 

However, after almost completing now two years of college and taking a higher level communication course called Professional Communication (you have to give 5000 speeches, some memorized) I feel like I can do anything. The memorized speeches don't seem so scary any more, I actually feel a bit excited. You see, this school year I have given tons of speeches, presentations, introductions, conclusions, awards, ran meetings...you name it. I would also say that 90 percent of these occasions were pretty much memorized...so ten minutes my senior year with a whole semester to practice? As Michelle Tanner would say, you got it dude. 

One of my favorite moments of this event actually surprised myself though. It was the moments when I student giving their speech got hung up on a word or may have forgotten their next word, but then they took a second, got back on track, and finished strong! That moment of struggle, fight, then overcoming and being successful made me want to stand up and cheer after each speech. And you know what? Just by the looks on the faces around the room during these moments, I believe my peers and those attending felt the same way. I couldn't be prouder to be in this department.

No comments:

Post a Comment